返回列表 回复 发帖
Karen, just talk a bit more about Chinese New Year, it would be easier to post here, for those who don’t want to read too much English…

Travelling is a chaos during ChunYun (春运). Air travel might be quicker and easier but majority people are living in small towns where can only be reached by roads and railways. Imagine thousands and thousands people are packed in one railway station and bus terminal each day it certainly gives you not just a headache but a desperation. So it is called the great migration.

A lot of traditions and customs have return to China simply because the booming economy. People want to protect their fortune so they follow the traditions,
and praying is a way of getting a peace of mind. The more money you have, the more superstitious you are. Happiness, health and prosperity are always in the prayer…

I am not sure about the new generation, as long as the elders keep doing it every year, it certainly helps to keep the family together.

Most of the rich and middle class in China went through a difficult time during 60s and 70s, the sea change makes a lot of people realize the traditions and customs is their culture but not the evil thought. The freedom of believing and religion is their life and they enjoy being a part of it. When there is a good year, you appreciate it, when you have a hard time, you pray for a better outcome.

Talking about Zao Jun, I remember it is one of the most important parts of the praying procedure. It perfectly makes sense, a full stomach brings satisfaction. As far as I know, my parents are still practicing it. It was a fun thing to watch.

Lucky money is my favourite part of the traditions. When we were young, we used to earn the whole years pocket money during the New Year period.
But nowadays Red Envelops become a kind of established practice between businesses and officials, a source of corruption.

I love giving my kids some lucky money on New Year’s Day to remind them their Chinese blood. I don’t know whether it will work or not. Hopefully the fact they could get Christmas Present and Lucky Money would let them happy to be a Chinese.

You are such an old China hand. Sometimes it amazes me how much you know about this country...

[ 本帖最后由 sandyyhl 于 2011-2-1 12:24 编辑 ]

Sandy,

It's me again! You are right about this being a good place to post. I know I get carried away and I probably annoy people on other threads!

(I consider myself a "thread-killer" because as soon as I post the thread goes dead).

It's funny, I know a lot of little things about China and I put them together for a bigger picture. I am not an educated person or an academic. I take Chinese history in small bites because it is SO HUGE. I like to read stories about people to try and understand China and I think pop culture is a good window to any country. I know funny little things-like everything from "Brother Sharp" to "My~father~is~Li~Gang"!! Chyi Chin is my touchstone because I try to learn about any place he goes to. It makes it easier to remember if you have something to relate a place to. I have often wondered if he takes the time to see the sites. He is a lucky, privileged man to get to go to all the places he goes to.

As for politics-I don't judge good or bad-I just accept that it is different. I think China is the most dynamic country in the world today and her treasure is her people. They will ultimately decide what they want. Things are changing so fast that the one danger I see is people throwing the old cultural beliefs overboard. I am so happy to see traditional celebrations for Spring Festival because those traditions hold family and people in general together.

I don't exactly know what I mean, but I don't want China to forget the value of the old as they are flooded and overwhelmed by the new. I think China right now is at the crest of a new era of history and I regret I'm too old to know where she will be in 15 or 20 years!

Gung Hay Fat Choi

KK

Gung Hay Fat Choi is Cantonese
In Mandarin, Gong Xi Fa Cai 恭喜发财

Happy Chinese New Year to you and anyone who reads this post....

I reckon you have considered youself as least have half gallon of Chinese blood,... hehhe

[ 本帖最后由 sandyyhl 于 2011-2-3 08:13 编辑 ]

Oops......

Gong Xi Fa Cai 恭喜发财

That's better! Thanks.

KK

I just watched a concert DVD of the band "Beyond" that I bought a few years ago. I had forgotten how good they are.

I find myself humming their songs.
I am just curious if you guys like them also?

KK

[ 本帖最后由 Karen_Koerner 于 2011-2-11 00:31 编辑 ]

I have just been reading about the 798 Arts District in Beijing.

It looks like a fascinating place to visit.

Have any of you been there? Can you share your impressions?

I know Chyi Chin would like something similar for music in Chengdu. Anything new on that?

KK  

Beyond is a famoust pop rock band from Hong Kong, China. Many Chinese youngsters like them. Its lead vocal Koma Wong (黄家驹)died from a concert accident in 1993. What a pity!

798 is near to my office. It is a modern place for arts. But I have only been there once. Art galleries were once factories, modern arts were hung on walls. they're wonderful though I didn't quite understand them, a little strange to me.
这条路只有一个方向,去向一个遥远的传说。。。

Thank you for answering Firefly. I know it's a hassle.

The first Chinese music I originally heard was Cantopop from Hong Kong. I liked "Beyond", Danny Chan, and a couple others. I was searching for the song "Moon Represent My Heart" because I had heard it in several movies. By accident I found a Chinese language page which had collected about 15 versions of the song in Mandarin. When I heard Chyi Chin it was all over. I was hooked and Mandopop was my preference from then on. I love listening to him today as much as I did the first time I heard him.

There was a version of the song by every artist you can think of.  I noticed that the divine Leslie Cheung's Mandarin was kind of lousy. I also noticed Chyi Chin's diction was perfect and it added to the beauty of the language. When a group like "Beyond" appears in the mainland do they sing in Cantonese or Mandarin? Do the artists learn to sing in both languages?

As to the 798 Arts area, it sounds like a fascinating re-use of old buildings. I'm sure it will grow and be a source of much creativity. I think it's in Chaoyang in the Sanlitun bar area. Doesn't Chyi Chin live in the Chaoyang area? The same type of thing for music in Chengdu would be very exciting.

If you read any news on Chengdu, let me know. That's the kind of article it is very hard for me to find.

Best wishes and thank you again for taking the time to talk to this pesty foreigner!!!   

KK

Hello.

Someone please talk to me.

If I have offended somehow, I am not aware of it.

I love to hear from you guys so much.

I love to hear about little things and big things, what you do in your daily lives.

I love to hear about dear Chyi Chin.

I miss my Chinese friends.

KK     

Hi,Karen,It seems no anyone is free for this long time, I do not know why.I think it is a well appearance for them.You do not know?There are a Serious Inflation here,A~hah.We muse pay many time to make money 。。。So……Anything  mark up except the pay.Oh my ladygaga

Good luck

My Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/lsrx9527
曾几何时他们说,我原是一面锣。
返回列表