返回列表 回复 发帖

Go on reading

Taiwan Rocker Chyi Chin

Taiwan Rocker Chyi Chin  
2003-12-9 11:08:27      
A Taiwan- born pop singer and songwriter, Chyi Chin is a household name around 1990's. Now over ten years has passed, the then idol has grown and changed, while the only thing remains the same is in his pursuit of music.  
Asia's rock legends have been beating a path to play Shanghai. The latest one is 1980s Taiwan rocker Chyi Chin, who is morphing from bad boy to family man for his Shanghai New Year's concert.  
It's lunchtime, and Taiwan-born pop singer and songwriter Chyi Chin is decked out in an apron, cooking pepper crab hot pot. "The herbs I just put in are to enhance the nutrition in this dish," says the 43-year-old earnestly, sounding more like an experienced chef than a rocker. The steam wreathes his face, and if not for the banks of cameras around him, he could have been mistaken for a dedicated househusband.

It's an image Chyi is not averse to pushing. The pepper crab was being cooked up at a press conference promoting his year-end concert, "Returning Home for the New Year's Celebration," which will be held at the Shanghai Grand Stage on December 30. It's a long way from the longhaired, leather-clad rock icon who released his first, instantaneous hit -- "Wolf" -- in 1985.

The youngest son of divorced parents, Chyi was so troubled as a youth that he was sent to a correctional institution. Today, he wears a crisp black T-shirt and the long hair, which has been cut, reveals some graying at the temples. So what of the rocker past? Are we to believe that this is a new man?

"You see, everyone does different things at different ages," says Chyi thoughtfully. "I have entered the 'years of no confusion'," he says, referring to an old Chinese saying that infers that those over 40 come to an understanding of the true meaning of life. "I really do see things very differently now. I used to be so emulative, but now I just don't push myself too hard. Sometimes you have to let go of something," he says. One person Chyi had to let go was his girlfriend, the Taiwanese movie star Joey Wang.

The two stars had a high-profile love life and several breakups, with Wang serving as Chyi's muse: His hit songs "Winter Rain," "Memorial Day" and "Don't Let My Tears Go through the Night" were all inspired by the screen beauty. "We had a very good time. I am really sorry that things didn't work out between us," says Chyi. "Now I pine for family love and really want to find the love of the my life." Like many men reaching the mellow age, Chyi claims that he feels a genuine loneliness without his "significant other."

"I used to hang out with members of my band a lot. But gradually they got married, one after another, and it's very difficult to get them to go out these days," Chyi says with a sigh. The man who has recorded 25 albums in 22 years and created songs that have become household names will bring his Mandarin pop classics to local fans. "I know local people are used to spending New Year's Eve with family members," explains Chyi, before saying rather disingenuously. "I am not trying to disturb the reunion. But I really think of Shanghai as my home, so I want to celebrate the New Year 'at home'."  

With that revelation, Chyi segues into his plans to buy a home here. "I like Shanghai very much and plan to buy a house here in two years," he says. "In the meantime, I will open a studio in Shanghai. A suburban warehouse might work, as long as it is quiet enough for working.''
[size=4]人如似玉, 不争自有其光芒, 不卑自有其天赋, 不堕自有其情操, [/size]
Wolf's Love -----Taiwan Rocker Chyi Chin  

2004-2-7 18:54:55     CRIENGLISH.com  

Dubbed "the Wolf", Taiwan rocker Chyi Chin has created an image for himself of long hair, a melancholic voice, uninhibited manners and a constant chase for love.  

Dubbed "the Wolf", Taiwan rocker Chyi Chin has created an image for himself of long hair, a melancholic voice, uninhibited manners and a constant chase for love.

The song we are listening to is Wolf, the very song that won Chyi Chin his nickname and his fame when he was 25. Although he came from Taiwan, mainland audiences preferred calling him "a Wolf from the North", as they believe the unconstrained singing and hair-raising howls belong more to a singer from the vast northern prairie. Chyi Chin himself says the song accurately reflects his feeling and character, which speaks out his loneliness and his wishes towards future.

With a problematic family background, the rebellious youngster got into bad company and was led astray. He weathered three years in a rehabilitation home and changed from job to job before he got his break in showbiz. He was singing in a restaurant when he was discovered and signed by a record label. There came his first solo album See Her again. Let's have a listen to the theme song from that release.

From the photos taken in his early days, it's not difficult to find that Chyi Chin was always holding a guitar. Chyi Chin took up guitar at the age of 17. His first guitar was a gift from his elder sister Chyi Yu during his stay in a rehabilitation home. Without teachers, he taught himself and later tried his hand in a number of singing competitions. He didn't win anything but his belief in himself as a good singer and a guitar player grew stronger. He kept on practicing even during his days of military service. The next song we are going to hear is Glass-Made Heart.

Given his unconventional past and rebellious looks, Chyi Chin fits the image of a rock star perfectly. However, according to the troubador who broke into the entertainment scene when he was twenty, there was no attempt at carving an 'image' for himself during the days of the early 80s. His dress sense is not the result of slick packaging by his record company but reflects the real him he says. Next, let's hear a song named Outside World.

In general, Chyi Chin's songs belong to the genre of pop rock. His early music was heavier rock; he even formed a band of his own called Rainbow. However, his later pieces, like most popular Mandarin songs, are more gentle pop rock than any other genre.

In his 20 years of singing, Chyi has cut more than 20 albums. Even today, the 43-year-old is highly respected on the Chinese pop music scene.
Perhaps it was his deadly combination of rugged looks, unorthodox past and beautiful light vocals that attracted people to him.
The song we listened to is named sacrifice of Flowers.

When discussing Chyi Chin's 20 year odd career, it is difficult to ignore the effect and consequences of relationship with actress Joey Wang. The two stars had a high-profile love life and several breakups, with Joey serving as Chyi Chin's muse through it all: His hit songs "Around the Time of Winter" "Don't Let My Tears Go through the Night" were all inspired by the screen beauty.

Chyi Chin once confessed in an interview that the pair had a very good time together but he felt really sorry that things didn't work out between them. Like many men reaching their midlife years, Chyi Chin says he's lonely without his lover. The next songs Love Declaration and Cliff perhaps shine a light on the wolf's inner world.

There is another person who has deeply influenced Chyi Chin's life and creation, that's his sister Chyi Yu. Chyi Yu is an acclaimed pop singer who's been a big name in Taiwan since early 1980s. It was her song Olive that brought this Taiwanese singer and her charming voice to the attention of mainlanders.

Chyi Chin's love of music was ignited by the guitar Chyi Yu gave him but Chyi's sister is also a credible partner on Chyi Chin's journey of music. Here we bring you a cooperated work of the two stars. Windflower.
His turbulent life has left Chyi Chin unbowed and his pursuit of good music goes on. He's been hit by criticisms that his music lacks the spirit of old works like the hard rocking album Wolf and the more emotional Boundary album. But Chyi Chin says music needs experiment and exploration and can't stay static. For that his new songs require new concepts and new skills.

Now a lonely and aging "wolf", Chyi Chin is only a shadow of the wreckless youth who exploded onto the music scene over 20 years ago. But his life's experience have given him a deeper and better understanding of music and love. His latest album "Calling" is just out so let's have a listen to its theme song.

Now without his long hair, Chyi Chin, already stepping into his age of confusion, according to a famous Chinese saying, is more mature. But whatever the changes in personality, his music is as touching as ever.

With the songs Let Past Gone With the Wind and Moon Represent, we come to the end of this edition of China Beat. We hope you enjoyed it and like always, we'd love to hear your comments and suggestions. You can email us at chinabeat@crifm.com, or have an online listen at www.crienglish.com. I'm your host Shen Ting, see you next week.
China Beat  

2004-1-31 20:04:13     CRIENGLISH.com  

It is no exaggeration to say that almost all Chinese people are familiar with this melody. Entitled The Olive Tree, the song has been composed to compliment a poem by the well-known late writer from Taiwan San Mao. It also brings us the singer featured in today's program Chyi Yu.  

Check it out in this song, Is There Such a Parlance?

The next piece I'll play for you is a song written by Luo Dayou, a musician from Taiwan who is revered by music lovers as the "Music Godfather." Called Boat Song, it is also the theme music of the 1990 film Return Home after Getting Fame or Money. The movie closes with the hero departing in a small ship, leaving his lover on the shore. The warm yet deeply sad tune fades in to add a powerful sensation of loss to the closing scenes. The melody seems to float on the tranquil sea, giving the audience the impression that the years pass just like water and love leaves you like a boat, slowly and painfully moving out of reach.

To Chyi Yu, music represents a way of life as well as a method of self-interpretation. She immerses herself deeply in a world of pure music that reflects her thoughts like a clear crystal without impurities. She dresses in Bohemian style and lives a Bohemian way. Once in an interview, she said she was not interested in money or fame and embraced a liberal life.

Music, to her, is an interesting abstraction of life. She thinks a composer or singer must be highly sensitive to everything going on in and around them—everything, from a friend's words to a glimpse of something caught while standing at a street corner is, in her mind, a source of information.

Chyi Yu seems to be an alternative in today's entertainment scene, as she always keeps a low profile and avoids stretching her fame as other musicians do. However, Chyi Yu has found a fine balance between the artistic and business aspects of her music. She seems to have little fear of loosing fans and continues to change and develop her musical interests. She wanders from pop to classical, with her ethereal voice and western folk style providing a solid, recognizable base. To her fans, Chyi Yu perfectly represents the music she has created, and her songs are just like echoes emerging from deep within their hearts.

Have a listen to this song, called Bird and Fish.

Bird and Fish, with music a lyrics by Chyi Yu, is on her 1997 album Camel, Bird and Fish. In the song, she compares a couple to the bird and fish who can't do anything to change their feelings or the differences between them. The male vocals in the song are performed by Chyi Chin, Chyi Yu's younger brother.

Chyi Yu's parents got divorced when she was very young. She has two brothers. The younger one was a problem teenager. When he was 17 years old, Chyi Yu sent him a guitar as a birthday gift, and thus changed his whole life. The boy's name was Chyi Chin, who later became a huge pop star. In the song Actually They're the Same, the sister and the brother, dubbed as "Wolf and Angel Team", sing together: "You're flying in the sky/I'm wandering on the earth/It seems that you and me are in two different places, but actually they're the same." The whole song describes a life full of uncertainty with simple, yet philosophical words.

Chyi Chin once said without his sister he wouldn't be where he is today. Every time he thinks about the past, he feels very fortunate that he's had such a wonderful sister. In next week's China Beat, Chyi Yu's younger brother, Chyi Chin, will come into our spotlight. So don't forget to join us again.

I'll leave you today with an English song by Chyi Yu, called Who Finds This, I Love You. The song, which is considered to be the crystallization of love between Chyi Yu and Li Taiming, has moved many people.

If you have any comments or suggestions, why not drop us an email at chinabeat@crifm.com, or logon our website at www.crienglish.com. You can also contact me by snail mail at English Service, China Radio International, Beijing, China. The postal code is 100040. I'm your host, Shen Ting. So long for now.

Chyi Chin's night as fans lap up his hits

CHINESE POP

Taiwanese rocker delivers a night to thrill with stars onstage and off

CHYI CHIN LIVE IN CONCERT '99
Singapore Indoor Stadium
Last Friday
By SUZANNE SNG
-from Straits Times

IN HIS first concert here in four years, Taiwanese rock balladeer Chyi Chin gathered his family and friends around him for support.

During last Friday night's concert at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, the special guest star was his sister, Chyi Yu, who took along her little daughter to cheer on her brother.

And in the audience was a heavyweight of the Taiwanese music industry, Su Rei, who was dragged on stage halfway through the show to sing her classic hit, Shi Fo (Is It).

There was even a surprise guest singer -- Singapore-based singer-songwriter Eric Moo in a rare concert appearance.

However, much to the disappointment of the audience, Chyi's wife-to-be, Joey Wong, was not present.

But the real star of the night was still the singer and his powerful voice.

The three-hour concert began with a bang, as he launched into two rock songs, Yi Wu Shuo You (Nothing At All) and Ya Kou (Mute).

Flanked by two flamboyant electronic guitarists, he was clearly in his element in the rock genre.

And the responsive audience, made up of both young and old, lapped it up, waving their luminous sticks wildly, stamping their feet and just stopping short of standing up to cheer.

There were even wolf calls, in the spirit of Chyi's first hit song, Lang (Wolf).

After the rousing start, he slowed the tempo with covers of two well-known songs

He made an attempt -- his first -- to imitate Dave Wang Chieh in his '80s hit, Yi Chang You Xi Yi Chang Meng (It's A Game, It's A Dream), as many had commented that his voice was very similar to Wang's, especially their melancholic style of singing.

He also joked about going to karaoke lounges and belting out love songs, as anyone who had been in love would have done, before giving his own take on pop diva Faye Wong's Wo Yuan Yi (I'm Willing), giving the ethereal song an edgier feel.

But giving Chyi's vocals a run for his money was his sister's soaring voice, as she sang English and Mandarin numbers with ease. It was evident that good genes in the vocal department ran in the family when they blended their voices for a duet, Meng Tian (Dream Fields).

The low point of the night was when Chyi started on a set of songs in the native minnan dialect of Taiwan, which sounds like Hokkien.

After six obscure songs in the dialect, members of the audience were heard shouting: "Enough."

Clearly, they had not had enough of Chyi's hits -- such as Wu Qing De Yu Wu Qing De Ni (Heartless Rain, Heartless You) and Ai Qing Xuan Yan (Love Vows) -- and he willingly obliged.

The concert drew to an end with a crowd-pleasing cover of Teresa Teng's Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin (The Moon Represents My Heart), sung in Chyi's trademark ballad style with a mellow rock twist.
现在开始开工翻译,本周日交作业。在周日以前谁也不准把翻译好的文章先贴出来,违者罚款。周日把各自的译文一起贴出来。
本活动自愿参加。
返回列表